Friday, August 20, 2010

Docile.

It's not about what you want but it's about what you need.

I sat at the cafeteria pondering back and forth as my friends animatedly debated about this question:

Is love a need or a want?

Surely this question has been the food for many chic lits available in MPH.

Being in a rather awkward situation I was in, leaning against my bomb shelter, his hand in mine, when they were talking about it. We watched.

On the left hand corner, she harped about how one person could not live without food or water, and if love was a need one would die, literally, if he did not have it. Hence, love was a want. Something to have that would make a day feel complete but without it, you would not be any less complete. Technically it's possible to live on your own. You can eat on your own, you can sleep on your own, and you can even literally fuck on your own. One would not die without love.

However, the other argued from a more metaphorical sense in a way death was seen as a life not worth living. A life without love is one filled with sadness and lesser meaning. How can anyone live without love?

I argued there isn't necessarily love in a marriage pointing out arranged marriages and such, however, one interjected. 'Love and marriage is two different things.' One doesn't necessarily lead to another.

The debate was long but these were the main premises of their arguments. Being in a position where I'm in, I think this question is difficult to answer.

There were times I would've loved to have love. Times when I felt my life was incomplete that it no longer was a want but a need. How I thought how perfect my life would be just to have someone to depend on when times were hard. And at that time, perhaps, emotionally it was. And as much as I hate to admit it, this reason for so-called 'love' was a very selfish one.

Fast forward in time, presently. Now that you have it, you fear of losing it. And like how at that time I couldn't picture myself how it would be like actually being with somebody, my thoughts could never go beyond saying 'I like you too', I cannot picture myself having to live my life without that special person around anymore.

But in both situations, love doesn't only lie in a person or romance you desire. There you are in a foreign place thinking you need love when you were actually living pretty comfortably comparatively to other migrants, love was actually already there because love comes in many forms. Friends for support, family to ramble to. These are the people you connect with.

Even so, having felt different kinds of love... this is probably one questions I cannot answer.

Love encapsulates too many things which is why it is so hard to define.

5 comments:

Alva said...

You won't die without romantic love, but you will die without love. That's my stance. :)

Home is where the heart is. If your heart doesn't have a home, GET ONE NOW! *only retailing at 29.99 for a limited time only* (haha not talking to you szeszechocopie)

And then again, you'll be surprised at how many living zombies there are walking the face of this earth, with a heart that's exposed to wind and rain. With only a little thatched roof made up of memories of love that could have been for shelter.

As long as you've had a good memory of love in your life, I'm sure anyone can reinforce that thatched roof with more cement (more lurve!) and give you SUPER-ROOF!

Sze said...

OMg who do I call? Is there a 1800 number I can call! HAHAHAh. LOL. I got super-super roof now after reading your comment! LOL. =)

Alva said...

Haha you don't need to call cuz you already have your bomb shelter le. Better than cement I tell you! :) Glad you have super super roof! Now spread the cement!!

Sze said...

*throws cement @ alva* HAhahahah. =) Give some to smoochie =D

Sze said...

if got extra give Andrew.

And if still got extra, give Jacky and Josa BAHAHAHAH =D