Monday, October 04, 2010

Things I don't understand.

It is not the first time I've encountered someone from an abusive relationship. It is also not the first time I have to watch someone close to me gone through this. Whether physically or emotionally, both cause equal harm exerted through power asymmetry. But then the complication is that abuse like many other things are self definitive. Yet at the same time, sometimes I forget. I must be lucky having to not experience it for myself until today. Sometimes I forget, the constant supply of empathy is all that is needed to help such experiences. Sometime I forget that some situations can be helped in times that are short. I constantly try not to step in because when I do, I don't do it right. I just never did.

To put it metaphorically, sometimes it's like watching a plant wither while hesitating to share the water that is in your hands. Sometimes, it is like watching an injured animal, but not sure what to do to nurse it back to health. Sometimes it's like mourning for a death of someone you don't know personally. Grievance is not shared, hence you feel like anything you do is just not enough.

These are just some things I don't understand but my move to inquire does show that I someday wish to but at the same time fear. Though ultimately I try as much as I can to understand it now. Day by day as I watch this plant wither, the limped body of something that was once alive, I mourn. Even though mourning does not come close to understanding of what has become, I'd do all I can, and that is all I can do, holding onto hope that someday this too shall pass.

0 comments: