Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Home Song Stories (2007)



By Tony Ayres starring Joan Chen, Qi Yuwu.

Based on a true story, this 90-minute epic is about a classy Shanghai club singer and her struggle in Australia with her two children after moving from Hong Kong. This movie is packed with big waves of emotions letting us understand the members of this Chinese diaspora and their obstacles.

Rose (played by Joan Chen) is a needy, emotionally unstable mother who wants the best for her family but always looks at the wrong places. In addition, financial stability and her emotional needs sends her on a arduous journey to really settle down in Melbourne. Her children try hard to stay optimistic but deep inside, they are struggling as well.

I'm not surprised with the number of awards they bagged.

The Official Website

I downloaded it not really knowing much about what the movie is about but it turned out to be an epic. It's really touching. Joan Chen got me sobbing a couple of times. It was brilliant.

Qi Yuwu is hitting film festivals mann! This is definitely one of the best Qi Yuwu flicks. Wonder why didn't he look as good when he was on TV!

Sad thing is, about a quarter of this movie is in Cantonese. So it drives me nuts when I can't find subtitles on Kloofy.



What can I say? I'm not a linguist XD...

0 comments: