Monday, February 15, 2010

Then and now.

Half a decade ago, I was in school. I've seen all that's good, bad, fair and unfair. I lived through it with a close knit circle of friends and a couple of teachers whom were always on a look out for us, that until today are still an inspiration to us.

Sonia, Sharveen and I visited one of them today. The last I saw her was about a year ago before leaving for Australia. Today we sat in her house, chatting away without realizing how fast time flew by. The fear is gone. All I have for her now is respect.

While I bluntly say, about how tuition brings in more income. I could tell she didn't seem to agree. Teachers RARELY disagreed to that. Perhaps it's not the income she's after. To know that teachers who gave her 100 percent to where she's supposed to teach makes me feel comforted. Schools need more teachers like that. We don't need teachers who makes a guest appearance in class for 3 weeks and disappear the rest of the semester. We need teachers to actually teach and less meetings that last from the morning till the bells ring. We need speeches that can leave impacts in our lives, not time-wasting assemblies that brings no benefit.

In my time, this isn't what I got. It makes you appreciate those who did try to give you that even more.

Miss Low's retiring this year. It's a loss really.

0 comments: