Saturday, March 27, 2010

Soulmates.

A friend asked me today, you believe in fate?

I could ramble on forever.

My reply was almost instantaneous.

I only speak for this moment in time, now. Until something in the future comes smacking me in the face to prove otherwise, I don't believe in fate.

See, I used to be a firm believer of this thing called 'fate' and all this romanticized notion of 'true-love'. And that there is only one for you and that one person is out there, and all you have to do is wait for him to appear and you will know it's him when that person sweeps you off your feet.

PLEASE LAH. =.=

Unless you think you're living in a Korean drama or a Taylor Swift music video, you can just sit on your butt and settle for someone who is your 'true-love' and credit that to fate - this invisible, all-mighty governing cupid-ish force that brings people together because you have just been systematically brainwashed by (insert age here) years of Disney, sappy love songs (and their really bullpoop music videos), the idiot box, chick flicks, valentine's day cards and romance novels like how I have been before I had my moment of epiphany.

I don't know, but i feel fate doesn't exist on its own. You need to make things happen, your fate lies in your hands and what you make out of it. You wanna call that fate, suit ya self. I call it effort. This whole notion of true love, it doesn't exist out of thin air. Whether two person are suited for each other don't depend on some stupid inscription aka Fate that the big-guy-up there has prepared from the moment of conception. It depends on what these two people are willing to do to adjust to one another in a specific amount of time (which normally, is forever, but of course not always the case for everyone). It depends on what great lengths two people are willing to go to keep the flame burning.

On this note, I'm not saying opposites cannot attract, or people who are similar will have a better chance in lovers for life. Just because Science exist it doesn't mean everything can be measured and predicted. It's more of a trial and error kind of thing. Just go for it. If it doesn't work out, heal. Let go. Try again. It doesn't mean that you've lost the love-of-your-life and your happiness is forever doomed (tchyeah easy for you to say). No seriously. If you stop believing in THE-ONE, and turn to the another-one, another-other one, it'll be a whole lot easier. Don't remain stuck in time for too long. Because age is a bitch. And by the time you realize all you've been chasing for is nothing but a mirage, it might be too late and time is also a bitch because it doesn't wait.

If fate can really bring two people together the most bizarre ways imaginable, (insert typical subway, elevator, escalator going on both opposite directions scene) and because of that it's-a-sign-that-he-is-the-one-even-if-you-don't-know-if-he-smokes-pot-and-raped-a-horse-or-something-dodgy-like-that, whooakay. o.O I'm no expert, but that ain't love man.

That's like... psycho. Or so it occured to me.

Sometimes coincidences are just coincidences, and nothing more.

No official ethnographic work done to prove whatever I said but all this theological humbug about fate and 'the-one-true-love' is crazjee.

People cheat. People fight. People get hurt. People drift apart.

Love isn't pure and simple at all.

Love needs a new definition.

Disney makes it look too fking easy.

This one-true-love thing doesn't exist. One-true-love only exist as a social construct to make sex legit to continue the human race. I'm a skeptic so sue me. I think, it is possible to feel that special connection with more than one person throughout your life. And also, society's to be blamed for people who think otherwise.

But of course, who am I to speak? The closest I've been to love is one that is unrequited.

1 comments:

Alva said...

sze. it's at these moments when i miss u so much.

thank you for saying what i wasn't able to say.