Thursday, April 15, 2010

SIGS

I suddenly feel immense pride in my School. After all, it was once upon a time huge back in the day. Zainah Anwar, of Sisters-in-Islam, one of the leaders of the progressive feminist Islamic movement, is from SIGS.

I have only faced an open racist taunt once from a teacher throughout 5 years I've spent there, with a blank shocked look I stared, the teacher responded "I am only stating the fact". Saleha was her name, a total contradiction to that veil she was wearing.

We bitched among ourselves, never brought it up to the big people. Thought it was going to get me expelled. Wasn't much of a rebel as I thought I was. Until today, I cannot forget how the anger boiled in me having to sit at the same table as her. And when she left, I blew.

I have faced numerous other 'race' based bias in respect to the co-curriculum sector. Red tapes and permission issues. Even if I wasn't the one directly dealing with the teacher, this was one of the demotivating factor that makes me regret to even want to be part of something.

Racism even existed between those who were teaching. What kind of students are they going to mould if they are so bent on reinstating the wrong discourse?

Once upon a time, this didn't exist. This is the reason SIGS's 'hugeness' was once upon a time.

I hope they try hard enough to get it back.

1 comments:

Tiara said...

Zainah Anwar's from SIGS? Wow, that's really cool. I wish she was the norm rather than the exception; I faced tons of racism in SIGS Primary and the secondary school was only marginally better. I'm sorry you had to go through that!